Welcome to D
Welcome to the interactive tour of the D Programming language.
The tour gives an overview of this powerful and expressive
language which compiles directly to efficient, native machine code.
What is D?
D is the culmination of decades of experience implementing compilers
for many diverse languages and has a unique set of features:
- high level constructs for great modeling power
- high performance, compiled language
- static typing
- direct interface to the operating system API's and hardware
- blazingly fast compile-times
- memory-safe subset (SafeD)
- maintainable, easy to understand code
- gradual learning curve (C-like syntax, similar to Java and others)
- compatible with C application binary interface
- limited compatibility with C++ application binary interface
- multi-paradigm (imperative, structured, object oriented, generic, functional programming purity, and even assembly)
- built-in error detection (contracts, unittests)
... and many more features.
About the tour
Each section comes with a source code example that can be modified and used
to experiment with D's language features.
Click the run button (or
Ctrl-enter) to compile and run it.
This tour is open source
and we welcome pull requests making this tour even better.